Beetroot is a staple on my weekly shopping list! It’s not only a great vegetable for our bodies but also a very versatile ingredient.
I find the pre-cooked beetroot version brilliant and always add it to salads, smoothies, risottos, frittatas or roasted root vegetables. These beetroot burgers are full of fresh flavours with mint, walnuts and Feta cheese adding to the beautiful rich colour of beetroot.
Serve the beetroot burgers with a leafy green salad or stuff in a toasted pitta with some Greek yoghurt and avocado. Freeze the burgers in pairs ready for your next meal.
Makes 8 medium sized burgers.
- 140g walnuts
- 500g cooked beetroot, grated
- 6 scallions, thinly sliced
- 100g feta, cubed
- 1 fistful fresh/frozen mint leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tin black beans, drained and rinsed
- Pre-heat an oven to 200°C/180°C fan/400°F.
- Place the walnuts in a roasting tray and roast in the oven for 8 minutes until they soften and begin to crisp. Once roasted, remove from the oven and allow to cool a little.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the beetroot, scallions, feta and mint. Roughly chop the walnuts and add to the mix.
- Place the black beans in a measuring jug and gently mash or pulse with a stick blender or food processor until fairly smooth.
- Add the black beans and lemon juice to the bowl and gently mix together until well combined.
- Increase the oven temperature to 200°C fan and line two baking trays with baking paper.
- Moisten your hands with water before taking a tablespoon of the beetroot mix in your hands and mould into burgers of whatever size you like.
- Add each burger to the baking trays and gently press down with the back of a spoon.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes, flipping the burgers half way through.
Just back from travelling the world on a year away from work as a Chartered Physiotherapist and the Gaelic football field with her native Tipperary and club Foxrock-Cabinteely. A passionate lover of all food, Sinéad Delahunty shares her kitchen creations through her food blog – Delalicious and has teamed up with Sportswomen.ie to provide recipes and foodie athlete interviews. She focuses on inspiring others to fuel their lives through healthy, wholesome and natural food with quick and easy recipes for all.